Monday, August 25, 2008

Gramm....atrophy...

Initially, I love the thought of being literate and such. I'm not a phobic. Grammar doesn't scare me. Too much. But after I read the first chapter of David Mulroy's "The War Against Grammar," my outlook became a bit gloomier. Don't get me wrong, I like the structure of it all (Lord knows we all could use a little more structure), but Mulroy's attitude towards the teaching of Grammar came off a bit.... hmm.... egotistical? Yeah. I immediately had to compose my anger sharks. Finish reading, word by word, his gag-inducing rant so that my conscience would be satisfied and I could tuck that one lone homework assignment away under my sleep-invoking pillow. But really?
Therefore, I now have legal liscence to rant, since he wasted a good 30minutes of my life beating a frickin dead horse.

Maybe it was that I just expected to be taught something. That could be it. I thought after he got out all his frustration about the teaching system and the ignorance of college students, that he would re-structure himself and let us in upon his vast knowledge of grammar gold. **Sigh**

Dissappointment has always been a characteristic of life, why should this instance be any different? I can admit I'm stupid sometmes. I can especially admit I'm ignorant in the areas of grammar (most times), but what I don't enjoy is reading about me (i.e. the dumb college student) like I'm a specimen to be chastized because the system has failed. Who said the system was right to begin with? Maybe it's improving with the ways communication is evolving. Who can tell. His argument I get. I understand. I just needed something from him showing that he was willing to do more than gripe about the present situation. Maybe in further chapters to come? Let's keep our fingers crossed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand how Mulroy could come off sour to some readers--but I think it might be a bit early to write him off completely. It could get better...or maybe worse.

Do you think there's any hope for grammar to make some kind of come-back in the next few years (or should we work against one)?

Rachel said...

Hilarious. Nothing I love like a good rant. I am curious too to see if the whole book is only about his disappointment or if he is ever going to teach his readers something.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what the rest of the book will be about, but I think the section we read was more of an argumentative statement than an informative one. I think he is trying to make us realize the importance of knowing correct grammar so we will then be more passionate about learning it.

laurie said...

I was expecting to be taught something too. But I got nothing except that he was mad that nobody sees the importance of grammar but him. It was a hard read and probably a waste of time because I don't even remember anything interesting or helpful. It was all ego like you said.

Steve said...

Other possible descriptors of Mulroyy's attitude: Arrogant? Self-righteous? Pedantic? Insufferable?

Love the phrase "anger sharks."

I expect that you will find David Foster Wallace more to your liking (don't ask me to parse this sentence; "find him to your liking"?!?).

katie beth said...

Thanks for that. I finished the reading feeling inadequate. I wish I would have taken your stance instead. I want to learn, not to be told what and why I haven't.