Tuesday, September 2, 2008

So. I See some Light. Some.

So. The Second chapter of Mulroy's "The War Against Grammar" brings some relevant reasoning to the table, thankfully.
When he began linking the foundations of thought to the necessity of grammar, in the whole scheme of the seven disciplines of liberal arts studies, I found his argument somewhat fascinating. That the preservation of history and culture relied on the simple fact of eloquence.
I also liked this tid-bit of wit.
"Questioning the value of grammar is like asking whether farmers should know the names of their crops and animals."
I appreciated his way of transforming the acidic grammar regurgitation into a succulent dish to be surveyed and savored.
I'm actually looking forward to chapter three, when I catch up.
Hopefully there's more to come on this post, but my mind fails me at the moment.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'm thrilled to see that you're reading ahead and enjoying what you've found to boot.

(Don't ask me to parse "to boot".)